Sunday, April 28, 2013

999 Days or 2 years 8 months and 25 days

Greetings -
999 days WOW that is how long it has been since we took custody of Tariku in Ethiopia.  But the reason for the WOW is because tonight at dinner Tariku did something that to most parents would seem so common and "normal" and everyday and for me well it is something I have been waiting to see happen!

If it is one thing adoption has taught me - nothing works on my timetable!  It is all in the hands of God. If I am quiet and listen that is when I see everyday miracles.  I am so thankful that this evening I was not to busy with my phone or clients or outside life to miss this moment!

From the day Tariku has come home he has never really accepted food from anyone's plate.  He has always been worried that everyone eats all on their plate.  It didn't matter if you told him 1,000 times you were full and he could have it - he would always say no.  Over time he has gotten better and now accepts the leftovers a little easier.  But he has never eaten off my plate or shared my food.  I don't know why I have offered him items nightly and I always get a no.  He will eat from his dad and his papa and nana but me never.  As a mom it bothered me.  I wanted him to be safe and know what was mine was always his. But I also knew this had to come in his time.

As we sat at Zaxby's eating this evening I again offered some fries, or coleslaw and he declined.  We continued to talk about the weekend and the week ahead and the next thing I noticed he was taking and eating fries and chicken tenders off my plate!!!  For the first time in 999 days he was comfortable enough we me to be a kid who eats off their moms plate! What a moment for my heart - he is moving forward in his trust  - it's a slow process but I am so grateful that I get to see and capture these moments.

So thank you Lord for this evening.  For those moments together at dinner when a boy could just be a boy with his mom!


No comments:

Post a Comment